Sunday, August 5, 2012

Don't try to be original. Just try to be good.

I asked my little cousins and my niece to draw pictures for me. I wanted to turn the drawings into plush dolls for them. About halfway through the first one, I thought to go online and see if anyone had done this. Several people had and I laughed at myself for thinking it was original.

The architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe said, "Don't try to be original. Just try to be good". There has always been something appealing about the idea of originality. Typically the word is defined as the beginning of  a new concept or the first form. But to be stuck worrying over creating something original can cause us to never do anything at all. Focusing on doing things well is where it's at. I'd rather make something awesome than make an original piece of crap! We don't always remember who started doing something a certain way but we will always remember who the masters were.

I took several liberties with my cousin, Asher's drawing and though this is hardly the work of any sort of master, this is what I came up with:


Also, Ludwig's birth name was Maria. Just saying.

Auf Wiedersehen!
Cammi

No comments:

Post a Comment